Sunday, February 23, 2014

True Blue Tortillas I Love You

Fresh blue corn tortillas puffing up on the comal.
As you may know, one of my favorite street food finds in LA, is the Blue Corn Quesadilla Lady. Well, when I was in Mexico City, I got to have another amazing blue corn experience. We went to a street market that happens every Friday in the Condesa neighborhood. It's much like the Farmers' Markets we have here in California - fresh produce, food vendors and artisans set up selling their wares.

Eme knew of this stall she had been to before - "Eve Tlacoyos y Quesadillas". Upon arrival my eyes grew with hunger seeing a giant ball of blue corn masa being needed and turned into tortillas and tlacoyos before my eyes. The thing was, I had no idea what a Tlacoyo was. However, I did know I would be having one because they looked delicious.

Menu at "EVE" Tlacoyos y Quesadillas
Upon arrival, we had to wait for a bit for a seat, as there were only four tiny stools in a very narrow space between "Eve" and the stall next door. The wait was fine with me as I got to watch the entire cooking process go down - from kneading the masa dough, to making tortillas and tlacoyos in the proper shapes and sizes, grilling them up on the giant comal and then completing them with toppings and salsas. While we waited were given a menu, which was also a checklist to mark your order. The list was divided into "Quesadillas" and "Tlacoyos" with a range of fillings from potatoes and chorizo to mushrooms and squash blossoms. 

Once we got our seats we eagerly awaited our food. My back kept getting a draft or something as it was feeling very cold in my seat. Suddenly my entire ass was wet! Remember when I said there was a very narrow space between our quesadilla stand and the stand next door? Well, the stand next door was selling yogurt and fruits. All of which were on ice. However, there was a leak on his ice table. We were seated so close to his table that it was leaking right down my back. The man was very kind and fixed it right away. The advantage of this was that I got to move two seats down and talk to the kind woman making tortillas.
Woman making tortillas from blue corn masa.
I was curious about the color of the tortillas. I knew they were called blue corn, but I was sure if they were actually from corn that is blue or if it may have been a mix of masa with huitlacoche (Huitlacoche is a dark corn fungus that is often eaten in Mexico. Despite it's description, it is quite delicious and worth a try). She explained to me that the masa is actually made from blue corn kernels and that is where the blue color comes from.

Quesadillas at "Eve" at the Friday Marker in Condesa, Mexico City, DF.
The quesadillas were ready first and they were incredible. The tortillas were fresh and doughy, with a bit of crispiness on the outside. The cheese was ooey-gooey and oozing out the sides.

A delicious Tlacoyo from "Eve" at Condesa's Friday Market, Mexico City, DF.
It was no surpirse to me that Tlacoyos are delicious. They are somewhere between a haurache and a pupusa. They are oval shaped masa cakes, thicker than a tortilla, but thinner than a sope. Similar to a pupusa they are stuffed inside with black beans and in this case covered with some tasty toppings including nopales (cactus), onions and cheese.

Sope al Gusto from "Eve" at Condesa's Friday Market, Mexico City, DF.

Fresh blue corn tortillas and tlacoyos pile up at this busy food stand
Tortillas grilling on the comal.
You can find "EVE" Quesadillas y Tlacoyos on Friday mornings at the market in the Condesa neighborhood on Avenue Nuevo Leon in Mexico City, DF. In the meantime, you can find Madonna singing about here love for Blue Corn Tortillas here:


No comments:

Post a Comment