Saturday, April 26, 2014

Filipino Street Food in Los Angeles...Only $1!!!

Authentic Pinoy Street Food in Los Angeles
Anytime I see a crowd of people standing around fire, I always hope for the best and that there is something delicious roasting over the coals. As I drove down Temple through Historic Filipino town, I passed a very unassuming yellow food truck. There were two BBQ's aflame, a huge line of people and the small mini mall was packed with cars whose hoods had become make shift dining tables where people were eating, congregating and having a great time. From the looks of things and wonderful aroma in the air, this was most certainly going to be something delicious.

I got quail egg, shrimp balls, lumpia and chicken feet.
The nice ladies of Dollar Hits!
I made my way through the smoke, closer to the slow jams blasting out of a large boom box neat the truck. There was a huge table in front of the truck filled with trays piled high with all sorts of finger foods -many things that had been skewered and many things that had been fried, and some had met both fates. I wasn't sure where to begin, so I started at the sign that says "Line Starts Here". A very sweet lady greeted me and I explained that I was new to all this. She explained that I was at "Dollar Hits" and everything was a dollar each. You pick either a small tray if you want a few things or a large foil tray if you're taking the party home. Then you proceed down the line picking all the amazing street foods that you want. Then you start adding up the dollars. There's worse ways to use your dollar bills: buying useless things at the dollar tree, making it rain at Jumbo's Clown Room or making origami cranes. I would much rather make countless trips through the line of this food truck.

BBQ's fired up with lots of goodies
I ended up getting the shrimp balls, deep fried quails eggs, lumpia, BBQ pork and BBQ chicken feet. I had never had chicken feet before. They were skewered and doused with sauce. Once you start sucking that sauce off, you really get into it and begin suckin' them bones clean! Lumpia is very much like a egg roll. It was fried to perfect with a flaky crust filled with spiced vegetables. Everything was delicious and I still have more to try when I go back. Also, if you get the melon (cantaloupe) drink, it's only $1 and free refills!
Free refills on Cantaloupe punch!

Only a five minute drive out of Silver Lake, you can find Dollar Hits Food Truck at the corner of Temple St. and Carondelet St. (just a few blocks from Rampart). They are there Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights from 6pm-11pm.

Follow Dollar Hits on Instagram

Follow Chow with Xhico on Instagram

4 comments:

  1. I’ve been tracking the Mac Truck for close to a year, but never. Food Truck Catering In Los Angeles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corporate Catering Incredibly fascinating place. many post my partner and i now do not surely provide most solutions the particular i\'m thinking about, nevertheless i\'m a lot of undeniably thinking about this place. only consumed we would surely submit AS WELL AS inform you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a big time foodie and love street food. That’s the reason I have decided to include some of these dishes to my reception at wedding venues Los Angeles. We have talked with the venue and they have allowed some of our own food.

    ReplyDelete