Tuesday, April 5, 2011

First Real Food I had in Colombia

Yes, the first thing I had in Colombia was a Coffee from the Juan Valdez Café at the airport in Bogota. But once we scrambled around all morning and ended up on a six hour bus ride to Barranquilla, I was definitely getting hungry. I needed a snack.

Indian and Coco Bread hang from sticks wrapped in plastic bags.

Man selling Coco Bread on the bus in Colombia

Delicious Coco Bread in Colombia, the first thing I ate.
Fortunately at all the toll booths, there are men and women selling all sorts of things. There are armfuls of fried savory snacks with cheese, plain and bacon flavors. There are sweets and breads, popsicles and soda pops. Often people board the bus selling these delicious treats when you stop in village or at one of the local toll booths where they walk up and down between the cars and hop on buses for a short ride. I was very grateful for this service.

Stuffing my face with Coco Bread
At one point a man boarded the bus with several sticks loaded with bread hanging. What he described as "Indian bread" was apparently naan. I love naan - it's one of my favorite breads. Luckily for me he also had a "coco bread" which was naan laced with coconut. I went for that and it was incredible at the first bite. The bread was moist and slightly oily from the coconut. The inside was flecked with coconut shavings. Sweet and simple - I couldn't have asked for a better snack.

Slightly oily, but full of flavor - Coco Bread
Coconut flakes inside the wonderful Coco Bread

No comments:

Post a Comment