Sunday, December 19, 2010

Not-So-Brittle Brittle

My grandma makes the best peanut brittle. I love it. I made it on occasion with her while I was growing up. And by "made it", I mean followed her around the kitchen and watched everything she was doing. I decided this year to make some brittle myself. How hard could it be? One pot, three ingredients, twelve minutes. Well, unless you've been doing this 70 years, it's not as easy as it seems. You see my grandma had learned this recipe when she was a kid from her aunt "Pud". My grandma is an expert at this by now. I am not.

Not like grandma used to make.

As soon as I poured my first batch of peanut brittle, I knew from the color, something was wrong. I called my grandma to find out what it could be. She acted in disbelief as if something could go wrong, because I don't think it ever does for her. Then she assured me that the last batch she made she over cooked a little. This batch happens to be en route to me. She then told me I probably under cooked it. I realized I did. A combination of undercooking and the wet air from the rainy weather didn't allow the first batch to set. I ended up with a cross between a caramel and a nougat.


My "brittle" was so pliable, I could roll it. NOT, the texture I was going for.

All rolled up...
The moldable candy provided some interesting textures.
I set out for batch two. This time cooking it a bit longer and higher temperature. It totally worked. I didn't use peanuts this time around, I made a Sunflower Seed - Cacao Nib - Coconut brittle. It was airy, crackly and crisp. 

The final brittle turned out splendid. Sunflower Seed, Cacao Nibs, Coconut Brittle.

2 comments:

  1. It's possible to save undercooked peanut brittle!
    http://gemcitytiffany.wordpress.com/2010/12/18/salvaging-undercooked-peanut-brittle/

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks tiffany! i'm definitely gonna give it a try. i dig your blog. *growler*

    ReplyDelete