Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Rambutan in Silver Lake

Rambutan in Silver Lake is an average Thai restaurant with a great atmosphere of bright orange and acidic green The tables are sparse with white plates and accents of colorful chopsticks. Everything is pretty good but nothing was a total standout for me.

The Summer Rolls were refreshing and the peanut dipping sauce made me want more. The Pad Kee Mow aka Drunken Noodles was very good. I've normally had it with a light coat of gravy, but at Rambutan they do it two ways. You can get it "dry" with a light coat of gravy like I normally get. But the best option here is to get it in a bowl with gravy to the brim. It does make the noodles extra slippery and you may need to master your chopstick skills. I got some gravy in my eye when the noodles slipped away from me. The Crying Tiger beef neither made me cry nor feel like a tiger. It was a simple flank steak grilled almost perfectly, but by itself had little flavor. It's all about the sauce. It's sweet and tangy and a little onion-y. It kept reminding me of flavors in Mexican Salsas.

RAMBUTAN THAI
2835 West Sunset Blvd
Silver Lake, Los Angeles, CA
213-273-8424

Thai Iced Tea

Summer Rolls

Summer Roll

Pad Kee Mow

Crying Tiger Beef

Jasmine Rice

No comments:

Post a Comment