Monday, May 2, 2011

Cue: Disgust

I'm back at work designing food packaging. What's that mean? Flavor Cues! Flavor cue is a term used in marketing to help the consumer immediately identify the flavor. This weekend I was with some friends in the store and was pleasantly pleased to see Tapatío Fritos corn chips! I love me some Tapatío or Cholula hot sauces. My friends called me out on it, but I wasn't embarrassed.

Then, next to the Fritos, I saw one of the biggest design atrocities ever – Ruffles. I have an idea of what kind of guys they are trying to sell to, but this packaging is so terrible, I love it - but. I'd never eat those Ruffles! Loaded Chili & Cheese or Molten Hot Wings potato chips? No thanks. The horrendous photos and over-the-top flavor cues almost made me nauseated. I think I threw up a little in my mouth. It tasted like chili.




No comments:

Post a Comment