Saturday, July 16, 2011

Kombucha in the Kitchen

I was with a friend today at his friend's place and he had this giant glass jar filled with what appeared to be dirty liquid and layers of cream colored buttery tissue. I had no idea what it was. Then my friend asked for his "mushroom". I thought he was going to get some shrooms to trip. But it turns out that those buttery layers in that jar were actually mushrooms. They were fermenting with a mix of tea to make Kombucha.



The mushroom layers were oldest from bottom to top. He also had two old vases to ferment wine with the Kombucha growing. It was incredible.

Kombucha is a fermented beverage that smells like apple cider and has an effervescent zing to it. It's supposed to be extremely healthy for you. I tried some and it was one of the most potent drinks I've ever had. He said you need to cut it with some water...

No comments:

Post a Comment