Friday, February 18, 2011

Recipe: Poached Pear

Pears are one of my favorite fruits. I tend to overbuy at the farmer's market. So I like to switch it up - it's especially good to use these before they start to get too soft, but might be firm any more.

Poached Pear
I don't have a recipe, just a method.

1. LIQUID
You need some liquid to simmer the pear in. I fill a small sauce pan with water a juice of a lemon or lime. You can also use, white wine, cranberry juice, apple juice or orange juice.

2. SPICES
Add some spice. You can use a combination of anything aromatic and makes you think of the holidays. I like to use vanilla, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and nutmeg. I add just a pinch of salt too.

3. SIMMER
Peel your pear with a peeler. Keep stem intact. Simmer pear for 15-20 minutes until tender. Remove and let cool for several minutes.

4. SYRUP
Meanwhile make a syrup to top it. You can use any kind of juice. I like to do 1 part juice,  1 part sugar  - maybe a splash of gran marnier, whisky, scotch or rum. Simmer and reduce to half amount.

5. SERVE IT UP
Once the pear is cool, cut it in half. Cut into slices about 1/4" thick. Place in shallow dish. Pour syrup over top. Add a crunchy topping. I used coconut cookies in this case. Things like chopped nuts and cereal would work just as well.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment