Friday, December 3, 2010

Holding Buddha's Hand

I was at Jimi's last night. He reached below the counter to grab something and said "Check this out this lemon". He tossed on the counter what appeared to be a mutated lemon. It was yellow like a lemon, a the top wear the stem was looked like a lemon, but the other tip of the fruit was bizzare. It had many small fingers that grew concentric and appeared to be a cross between a flower and a squid. I imagined it coming to life and the fingers moving like tentacles and the center closing like the mouth of a sea anemone. Then I quickly remembered reading about it and blurted out, "I think it's a Buddha's Hand". He had no idea what I was talking about and I wasn't sure I did either, so I googled it on my iPhone. Sure enough Wikipedia confirmed my information.

Indeed this fruit was known as a Buddha's Hand. It is also known as the Fingered Citron and in Japan, bushukan. Supposedly it has very little flesh inside. It is very fragrant and the peel can be used for citrus zest.



No comments:

Post a Comment